Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Need a cache today...

Good morning! Well, it is morning for me - about to head to work...

Some of you know that I have a personal goal (not extremely high on the priority list, but a goal nonetheless) to find a geocache on every calendar day of the year. It all started when I saw a "challenge" cache where you could only log it if you have a find each day. That prompted me to set a goal. :-)

Anyway, September must have been a popular month in the past for caching because Bashful (Vanessa) and I had all but about 4 days. Two earlier in the month (which I got) - one today - and another later in the month. So I was looking on the website at the stuff in Dyersburg that might be an interesting one to find - plus large enough to leave the travel bug in my pocket - when I noticed that one out by Spring Hill Baptist Church has several logs with pictures. In most of them? KIDS! Yep!

I've never been an elitist, but at the same time geocaching in the early days had a certain charm. You had to be somewhat tech savvy to navigate the website, input the coordinates to your handheld GPS, then use that monochrome screen to search, then log the find on the website when you got back to a computer.

Nowadays there's a smartphone app that lets you see 'what's around me' at any given time - no pre-planning necessary. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that's a BAD thing, just doesn't have the charm. :-) Think of letter writing in the old days - licking a stamp - waiting DAYS for your friend to get the letter then write you back. Now you just pull out your phone and zap a text. Not inherently BAD, just loses the CHARM.

But I have also said that if this opens the hobby up to more people then it's for the best. Well after seeing the pics of the KIDS involved I think it's time for me to put up the curmudgeon hat and stop telling kids to 'get off my geo-lawn.' :-) Seriously though, I've never said that, but it did make me feel good to see those pics. :-)

Have a great day everyone!!!

No comments: