Sunday, October 16, 2011

old post - we're going to jackson

Looks like this one is also from the same date - October 23, 2009. I see that I note some parodies I had written before, but I don't remember ever going back and noting the words to them... Perhaps one day I will find them and post them...



Another offline update... Remember, these are as much for me a journal as they are for others to read. :-)

Had a great time while at Summer Institute performing a surprise song... :-) Next year it will be at Liberty High School in Jackson, so we decided to have the promo be something... a little different.

Tangent #1 of ??? - for the past several years I’ve written a song toward the end of the school year. I don’t know all the old words, so I’m recording this one here, and will add the others as I remember.

Cat 5 Cable
Paradise (the Lauderdale version)
White Collar Hollar

Anyway - Lynn Tucker started a BORING Power Point showing details about Jackson. Slides said 1 of 87, 2 of 87, etc. while Vanessa and I were backstage waiting. Finally he said, “you know, there’s a better way to tell you about Jackson...” At this point I start in on the opening notes of Johnny Cash’s Jackson. Vanessa and I come out from behind the curtain and sing...

We got computers for our teachers, bought a bunch of servers too,
We've been needin' Summer Institute, gotta learn just what to do.
I'm goin' to Jackson, not gonna mess around,
Yeah, I'm goin' to Jackson,
Look out Jackson town.

Well, go on down to Jackson; go ahead to Liberty.
Go see your friends you big-talkin' man, learn all about technology,
Yeah, go to Jackson; go comb your hair!
Honey, I'm gonna firewall Jackson.
See if I care.

When I breeze into that city, vendors gonna stoop and bow. (Hah!)
All them technicians gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how,
I'm goin' to Jackson, get my wi-fi on.
'Cos I'm goin' to Jackson.
"Liberty here I come."

Well they'll teach you things in Jackson, and I'll be learnin' right by your side.
They'll lead you 'round town like a fast learnin' hound,
They'll take us both for a ride,
Yeah, go to Jackson, you big-talkin' man.
And I'll be waitin' in Jackson, laptop in my hand,

Well now, we got computers for our teachers, bought a bunch of servers too,
We've been needin' Summer Institute, gotta learn just what to do.
We're goin' to Jackson, and that's a fact,
Yeah, we're goin' to Jackson, be smarter comin' back.

The pic above is the handout, plus this address -  www.twitter.com/SI_2010

No comments: