Sunday, October 2, 2011

old post - dozen






My son is driving us to a conference so I’m assisting from the passenger seat. My imaginary break is not working as well as I’d like... I’m trying hard to let him listen to what he wants - but -

Anyway, I’m sitting here going through some emails and found one from a few days ago that was “too long” for a quick read. Boy am I glad I didn’t skim it and go on! I would have missed something big!

From my Bible verses emails - Sunday, July 12, 2009

Blessed Beyond Resources

   Late that afternoon, the followers came to Jesus and said,
   "No people live in this place. And it is already late. Send
   the people away so they can go to the towns and buy food for
   themselves." Jesus answered, "The people don't need to go
   away. You give them some food to eat." The followers
   answered, "But we have only five loaves of bread and two
   fish." Jesus said, "Bring the bread and the fish to me." Then
   Jesus told the people to sit down on the grass. Jesus took
   the five loaves of bread and the two fish. Jesus looked into
   the sky and thanked God for the food. Then Jesus divided the
   loaves of bread. Jesus gave the bread to the followers, and
   the followers gave the bread to the people. All the people
   ate and were filled. After the people finished eating, the
   followers filled twelve baskets with the pieces of food that
   were not eaten. There were about 5,000 men there that ate.
   There were also women and children that ate.

                           -- Matthew 14:15-21 (ERV)

Now - me again - I’ve heard that passage spoken, taught, preached, etc., but here’s a key point I’ve never caught before...

KEY THOUGHT:
Don't you just love it that the disciples who didn't think they could
do anything to feed the whole crowd each got to pick up a basket full of pieces that were left over!

Wow! I’ve always just caught the fact that it was not only “enough” but that there was extra as well - more “extra” than He started with. But to look at it as “each one had a basket as a reminder...” Wow - that hits home...


Lord - may I recognize the blessings you bestow and not be so quick to assume it’s impossible. I don’t want a basket to remind me of my unfaithfulness, but if that’s what it takes...

No comments: