Monday, August 29, 2011

old post - fasting


Here's another post from March 15, 2009 - along with a comment...

I subscribe to heartlight.org’s biblical passages - kinda like a VOTD (verse of the day). While reading some old email, I ran across the entry for Friday the 13th -

The Hidden Fast


"When you fast, don't make yourselves look sad. The hypocrites do that. Don't be like the hypocrites. They make their faces look strange to show people that they are fasting. I tell you the truth, those hypocrites already have their full reward. So when you fast, make yourself look nice. Wash your face. Then people will not know that you are fasting. But your Father that you cannot see will see you. Your Father sees the things that are done in secret. And he will reward you."
-- Matthew 6:16-18 (ERV)

My take on this...

This should apply to much more than just fasting. Besides, anyone that’s seen me in person knows I’m not a faster. Faster eater, maybe, but let’s just say that I did NOT give up fried food for Lent...

At any rate, I’ve always loved the quote, “Share the Gospel daily. Use words if necessary.” I feel like if we’re fasting for the proper reasons, we should NOT show it. Does this mean that I should hide the fact that I’m saying Grace at lunch? No. I see that as a point of witnessing, but I’m not going to stand up and ask everyone around me to be quiet while I say my prayer, and I’m not going to say it where everyone else can hear me (I’m not talking to them anyway - ask me if you haven’t heard that old joke ;) ). I think if I did either of those things that I would like those hypocrites.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you...

Comment from Chris -

Hey Jim! Thanks for sharing that. I tend to feel the same way. Unfortunately, for me I don't have much to be hidden over to begin with when it comes to fasting! (meaning I don't do it enough)

Hey thanks for the call at work the other day; great to talk with you. Hope it works out for us to do lunch sometime ... (oops, we were talking about fasting :-)

No comments: