Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Song Club

Typing this on September 23...

Two nights ago there was a new episode of the Commercial Suicide Songwriting Podcast. I started listening and then finished it up yesterday morning. It has inspired me in two ways...

First, I had told Steve Rempis, one of the co-hosts and the actual founder of the show, that I had an idea for a segment and would record some "listener submissions" to be used. So far I have not done this. No excuse, it just hasn't been at the top of my radar...

Second, I realized a couple of weeks ago when Katie Hutton asked me, "written any songs lately?" that I could only answer... No. This kinda made me sad in a way, and I told myself then that I would get back on that.

Well, needless to say I've not written anything since that conversation and I haven't even submitted the old ideas I had. I did get to thinking while driving to work this morning just WHY I haven't written. Several things came to mind...

First, I've been performing a lot more and promoting my new CD. By the way - do you have it yet? :-) If not, I can mail you a copy and it can also be purchased on iTunes, listened for free on Spotify and I have a limited number of "download codes" where you can get the whole thing on CD Baby.

Anyway, performing is a passion of mine and like I said it's been more and more lately and now I've started in a regular band on Saturday nights. No, it's not as fun as having MY band and doing my own music, but it's fun to make people happy and watch them dance. As a dancer I know the feeling of a good, solid band doing traditional music that I can dance to, so I have a connection with the crowd.

Another thing that has taken some of my writing time has been preparing for our weekly Star Wars RPG game via roll20.net. And no, this is NOT a complaint. That has been some GREAT gaming time (and you, gentle reader, will remember that gaming is a high interest hobby of mine) but the MAIN reason I have zero regrets is that it's time I get to spend with Kyle every week! I will not be trading that in for anything and wish I had more "gaming time" with Colton as well...

But anyway, these things were going through my mind on the ride this morning and I was thinking about another song I had written as "self therapy." No, this one is not on my CD and I really thought I had put it on YouTube, but now I can't find it...

Anyway - it's called "Riding with Daddy" and while I was "riding with Vanessa" to work this morning I was singing the song quietly to myself. When I got a particular line I could not for the life of me remember the words to the first part, but I remembered the second part. And just like that the "real" words - what it should have been from the beginning - came to me...

Stand up for yourself but don't be a bully...

So, am I writing? Yes. Well - rewriting, and that's part of the process...

Rather than continue, I'll come back with the next post and talk about the Song Club... :-)




No comments: